This video is a graphic illustration of the bizarre beauty practice of gluing one's eyelids. The goal is to make Asian eyes look more Western. The glue adds a crease to a monolid, making it a double eyelid.
Mary, or Mulzanza on her blog, is a 21 year old Texan devoted to helping small creased and monolid Asian girls do their eye makeup. She's a pro.
The process of applying a thin layer of glue to one's eyelids takes up to 30 minutes. Daily.
Gluing is not the only way to crease a monolid. Some alternatives suggested using medical tape or blepharoplasty, surgically creating a crease.
In Asia, blepharoplasty is rapidly becoming the most popular cosmetic surgery. Only nose or breast surgeries are more popular, according to Laura Miller, an associate professor of anthropology at Loyola University in Chicago.
Doctors caution against habitual gluing. Side effects include eyelid drooping, itching, and other topical allergic reactions.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades